Contact Fisheries and Oceans Canada: Water levels
The Canadian Hydrographic Service provides Canadians with timely information and updates to current water levels activity including tidal predictions. Chart your own course safely by finding out water levels by phone.
Phone instructions for the toll-free number
Call 1-877-775-0790 for water level observations for the St. Lawrence River (between Montréal and Sept-Îles).
Through this number, you will also get continuous tidal data predictions for:
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
- Newfoundland and Labrador
This service will prompt you to find your choice of 'on the spot' information. The following information is a walkthrough of the menu instructions.
After the welcome message, press '9' for service in English.
Press '1' to get tidal predictions in Canada. You can then select from the following choices.
- Quebec (10 regions)
- New Brunswick (9 regions)
- Nova Scotia (10 regions)
- Prince Edward Island (5 regions)
- Newfoundland and Labrador (10 regions)
- British Columbia (12 regions)
St. Lawrence River area
Press '2' to get water level observations for the St. Lawrence River.
Press '1' to choose the observation station number. The following are numbers for available locations.
- 16005 Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue to Lac-des-Deux-Montagnes
- 15330 Lac Saint-Louis to Pointe-Claire
- 15520 Montréal (Jetée n°1)
- 15540 Montréal (Frontenac Street)
- 15660 Varennes
- 15780 Contrecœur
- 15930 Sorel
- 15975 Lac Saint-Pierre
- 03360 Trois-Rivières
- 03353 Bécancour
- 03345 Batiscan
- 03335 Deschaillons (Cap-à-la-Roche)
- 03300 Portneuf
- 03280 Neuville
- 03248 Port de Québec (Vieux-Québec)
- 03100 Saint-François (Île d'Orléans)
- 03057 Saint-Joseph-de-la-Rive
- 02985 Rimouski
- 02780 Sept-Îles
- 01970 Cap-aux-Meules
SINECO network and list of St. Lawrence River station numbers
Press '2' to get:
- more information about the SINECO network
- the list of water level observation station numbers for the St. Lawrence River
Press '3' to get the complete list of regions available on this system by fax.
Press '#' to return to the main menu.
Report a problem
If there are any problems with the system, contact us during office hours, from 8 am to 4 pm by:
- phone at 418-775-0502
- by fax at 418-775-0654
- by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Station gauges on the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River
The Canadian Hydrographic Service operates a network of announcing gauges at its stations on the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River.
When a gauging station is called, the caller will be asked to press '1' on a touch-tone telephone for English or '2' for French.
If a touch-tone phone isn't used, the message in English will start after a few seconds and the message in French will follow. The message gives the present water levels in metres above chart datum at that station. It will be followed by the high and low water levels recorded during the previous 12 hours. The height of the presently adopted chart datum for that station is then given in metres above International Great Lakes Datum 1985 (IGLD 1985).
Pressing '1' or '2' again at any time during the message will restart the announcement from the beginning.
Pressing '0' at any time will end the call.
Select a station
The following stations can be accessed by telephone at the number listed.
- Thunder Bay - 807-344-3141
- Rossport - 807-824-2250
- Michipicoten - 705-856-0077
- Gros Cap - 705-779-2052
St. Marys River
- above the lock at Sault Ste Marie - 705-949-2066
- below the lock at Sault Ste Marie - 705-254-7989
- Thessalon - 705-842-2215
- Little Current - 705-368-3695
- Parry Sound - 705-746-6544
- Midland - 705-526-6413
- Collingwood - 705-445-8737
- Tobermory - 519-596-2085
- Goderich - 519-524-8058
St. Clair River
- Point Edward (Sarnia) - 519-344-0263
- Port Lambton - 519-677-4092
- Bar Point - 519-736-7488
- Kingsville - 519-733-4417
- Erieau - 519-676-1915
- Port Stanley - 519-782-3866
- Port Dover - 519-583-2259
- Port Colborne - 905-835-2501
- Port Weller - 905-646-9568
- Burlington - 905-544-5610
- Toronto - 416-868-6026
- Cobourg - 905-372-6214
- Kingston - 613-544-9264
St. Lawrence River
- Brockville - 613-345-0095
- above the lock at Iroquois - 613-652-4426
- below the lock at Iroquois - 613-652-4839
- Morrisburg - 613-543-3361
- Cornwall - 613-930-9373
- Summerstown (Lake St. Francis) - 613-931-2089
- Amherstburg - 519-736-4357
Lake St. Clair
- Belle River – 519-728-2882
Report a problem
If there are any problems with the system or for more information on water levels, contact us during office hours, from 8 am to 4 pm by:
- phone at 1-877-247-5465 (toll-free)
- by fax at 905-336-8916
- by email at CATCWL@dfo-mpo.gc.ca